I had a lot of fun earlier this week interviewing John Cena, Sr., the father of WWE superstar John Cena. Cena, Sr. also works in the pro wrestling business, going by the name Johnny Fabulous for Massachusetts-based indie promotions.
It seemed appropriate to talk to Cena, Sr. as we approach WrestleMania XXIX, when his son will compete against the Rock with the WWE Heavyweight Championship at stake.
During our interview, Cena, Sr. talks about:
- His memories of watching the first WrestleMania in 1985
- What it means for long-time fans to finally have Bruno Sammartino going into the WWE Hall of Fame
- Whether Mr. T also should go into the Hall of Fame
- What wrestler Sammartino tore down the house with at the old Boston Garden
- What he remembers about the atmosphere of going to WWF wrestling cards at the Garden, including the net that hung over the ring in the 1970s
- Whether he thinks the Boston area will ever host WrestleMania again
Click hear to listen to my full podcast with Cena, Sr., whom I want to thank for his time. He has detailed memories of wrestling history, and it was great to talk to him about those days.