Questions about which pro wrestler is in the mysterious 2/21/11 video airing on WWE Monday Night Raw are stirring debate among pro wrestling fans, particularly those who are active on the Internet. Does the video promote the return of the Undertaker? Does it herald the arrival of Sting? Is it teasing a WrestleMania match between Undertaker and Sting?
The excitement makes me think back to some of the great mysteries from the WWF in the 1980s, such as the following:
- Who was going to cash in on the bounty set by Bobby “The Brain” Heenan on Paul Orndorff?
- What was the identity of the famed Conquistadores? (Actually, it’s fairly well known now that those masked men were jobbers Jose Luis Rivera and Jose Estrada, Sr.)
- Why did Giant Machine sound so much like Andre the Giant?
- What would have been next for Mr. Fuji and the Magnificent Muraco had “Fuji Vice” not been cancelled by the networks?
- How could fans be “literally hanging from the rafters” of arenas, as Gorilla Monsoon was often quoted as saying?
- Where did the Islanders take Matilda the dog when they kidnapped the mascot of the British Bulldogs?
- What was Pedro Morales’ “big surprise” for just about every opponent?
- What exactly did Iron Mike Sharpe keep in his black forearm pad?
- What did Captain Lou Albano do with all of Jimmy “Superly” Snuka’s money before Buddy Rogers uncovered the fraud?
- Who drove the vehicle that hit Moondog King?